Potato Soup from Becky Mortimer
1 1/2 c. sliced leeks or green onions
1/4 c. of water
5 c. of cubed potatoes
3/4 c. chopped celery
1 1/3 c. cubed carrots
1 tsp. salt
2 c. water
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
4 c. skim milk
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Sauté leeks or green onions in 1/4 c. water in large kettle until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, salt and 2 c. water. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a medium saucepan. Add flour, pepper and one teaspoon salt; Cook until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk and bouillon cubes. Cook and stir until mixture thickens. Stir into vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Garnish with some green onions. Then enjoy!
Sometimes I find bread bowls at Ralphs for 59 cents. I don't get the sourdough ones (they are expensive) but they have them. Vons lets you special order them for 99 cents each. I cut the top, angled downward into the bowl. Then instead of removing any part of the inside I just push it out to the sides and bottom, just to make it sturdy. I take the tops and cover them with olive oil, butter and cheddar cheese and broil them. I also put the bowls in the oven to warm them and harden them a bit. This soup doesn't need fancy bread bowls though, it's yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment